Tuesday 4 November 2008

Paper November



AUTUMN-END frost has sprinkled down onto our hills these last few days and the evening sunlight of early November shines through the chimney smoke in the village as we go out sporting thermal undergarments to collect coal. The house is a pile of chaos with little bundles of saved cardboard and bubblewrap stuffed in corners in preparation for more wrappings. We have been packing up and throwing away, there are bin bags for charity shops stacked around the rooms and we had a bonfire of old bills. (the bits of paper asking you for money I mean, not a burning of police forces!) A good lot of books have been sent off and bits of furniture too.. and I think I might have accidentally thrown my wits into one of those bin bags as well because I am starting to go a little bit mad!




The wheeled home is nearly there... not yet full of our things but sporting a brilliant second hand hobbit-sized oven and lots more excellent Tui-cupboards. We still need to stop the icy wind creeping in a few gaps and add another window or two, but it is almost ready for its journey I think. We have even bought a brass galley pump tap to adorn our rustic little kitchen. It will pump water up a pipe from a tank below and round and out the spout, into the sink and down the newly piped-in plughole.

There are endless things to think of before we go.. we have to organise mobile internet, buy a small and quiet generator for power until we sort out a solar panel arrangement, rip the music from 100s of CDs so as to leave them behind, parcel up and send off an enormously heavy singer sewing machine table, sell my little car, work out what to do with all my old work, buy 7 new wheels for the truck, and ready it for MOT, sort through yet more stuff... and nip out when the sun shines to make a little money. And amongst all the upheaval, I have dropped the printer! Now it makes clankings that it shouldn't make and refuses to print at all. This is very annoying with a capital A and it is headed for the bin bag corner too. It's not entirely a disaster though because it'll mean we'll have to order all our prints from the printing place now, which, tho a bit more pricey, is easier, better quality, and saves both space and late night cursings when bits of blue ink spurt all over the place for no earthly reason other than to try you.

The book sale was a storming success for which I'd like to say a big thank you to you all.. it took me two whole days to wrap them all and the faces of the post office ladies were a picture when we trundled in with our armfuls of bundles this morning. I must say that I have made rather a silly underestimate with many of the postage costs overseas.. books are so heavy. So a few of you might be getting little garbled emails from me asking for a pound or two more! It is very nice I must say to know that the books are going to places where they'll be enjoyed.

In these remaining four weeks I am putting away paintbrushes.. so clocks and other such things will be put on hold (as if I take hold of some imaginary painted pendulum and stop it swinging). I also (rather insanely) have a stop frame animation to finish before we go. Only Rima would leave such a slow artform to the very last minute to complete. I think I can do it though, and it is looking lovely so far. It appears that something switches in me when a deadline approaches and a new kind of desperate creativity emerges. Here are a few snippets of the paper pieces I am inching about under a camera up in the animation attic. I am enjoying it, and listening to Tui's beautiful and intricate finished Orla Wren album while I do it. Both album and animation will be unfurled early next year if all goes to plan.





So surrounded by big brown wrapping papers and little cut-out whispers of animation papers we approach our big and exciting journey. I shall try to keep news here, but forgive me if my visits to your blogs are less frequent and if my emails are spelled dreadfully or make little sense at all. I think it's time to light the fire now, Tui's just home from an afternoon of cupboard door makings and I'm back off up the attic ladder after removing from the carpet a nasty little cat present.

I leave you with a cold dusk tree shivering without its leaf coat growing up on the hill behind the village at the end of a stone wall.

29 comments:

Elva Undine said...

I'm getting caught up in the excitement, even though you are across the ocean.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Having moved an average of every two years in my life time (so far), I can can sympathize with all this all too closely! It will feel so great to be snugged into your wheeled home, only what you need close at hand:~). Though I don't think I would have left a project for the last minute and I am actually in awe of your ability to do so. Hugs for stamina and good cheer.

Koldo Barroso said...

Oh, now you're going through all the pain I had when moving from Europe to the US, sorting out how to get a whole house in a little box. Good luck Rima!

Keep up with the animation promise whenever you can, it looks really promissing.

Suze said...

Good luck to you both with your travels, Rima. Your new home looks beautiful, the start of a new adventure, and too many choices to make.

I would love to move...I'm trying.

Griffin said...

Rima you will have to write a book of your adventures... how about, 'There and Back again'?! Or possibly 'There and Further off'?

I am sorry the printer is terminally injured. Even if it did decide to annoy every now and then, just to show spirit!

When you put the clocks on hold (stop all the clocks...) would you stop time for a bit too?

Ideally before Sunday when time catches me up and ages me by yet another year. If you find a way to turn back time, another 20 years would be helpful.

I love Tui's cupboards. I hope he will engrave them 'Chips and Dales' so that in the future some furniture dealer will wonder how Chippendale got to do 21st century furniture!

beadbabe49 said...

Good luck on your upcoming adventure/travels...I'll be parked here at my computer, waiting eagerly to see the hermitage show up on my bloglines list!

Anonymous said...

i am proud of you both.

and incredibly jealous.

and then not jealous at all because i know what havoc is being waged with all the tying up of loose ends.

i send you peace and tranquility.
i send you focus.
i send you bright blessings.

tui said...

I am a lucky boy to have you making this lovely film for my music ...
a kiss, there x

Tammie Lee said...

Rima, though I have just met you though your sharings here, I feel excitement and challenge in your preparations. I left my life 4 years ago to wander. It took so much energy to get rid of things, to the 'right' places. It is interesting how things can suck the energy right out of life! I wish you well and so much more. Loving that I will get to experience some of your journey through what you share with us.
As always your images and art touch me deeply.

Acornmoon said...

I am sending you all my best wishes to both of you on this epic adventure. I am always intrigued and delighted by your creative endeavours, I know nothing about animation, the drawings are so lovely.

laoi gaul~williams said...

oh it will all be worth it when you are finally off on all those adventures that are waiting for you!

your wheeled home looks wonderful~i have the same hobbit cooker in mine!

Gail said...

It all sounds like such an adventure ... when is the departure date? Looking forward to hearing all about your travels.

Goodluck
-Gail XX

Nao said...

There is something about all the busyness, and organizing, and completing, and preparing for, that makes that final step out into the great wide world for an limitless adventure even more wonderful.

( although this does tend to come later, once the things that need doing are officially done)

The moment your wheeled home rolls down those Scotish hills, all self contained and cozy, you can pour yourself a cup of tea and feel a solid sense of accomplishment. You will have no doubt that you can do anything!

Am cheering you on over here! Keep breathing and drink lots of water. eh eh eh (two things I forget to do when I am rushed off my feet)

Paul Bommer said...

Rima
I love your blog so much
it always fills me with delight and wonder and romance. I smell the smoke and feel the frost ipping my cheeks and ears.
And wow, your beautiful house on wheels. You and your man are both very lucky, and very talented ( and very dreadlocked in love)
Paul x

Anonymous said...

I'm very excited about your animation! Those drawings look lovely and already intriguing. You've set yourself quite a task but if your past record is anything to go by...watch out world!x

Yoli said...

I am totally stocked about your animation work! Rima good luck on your journey. It is the best thing to do while young and free. Get rid of the extra baggage and move forward. Please take the cats, I worried about them.

tut-tut said...

Oh, what a lovely, cozy caravan. We listen to Tui's music in the car everywhere we go . . .

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

We have lived in the same house for so many years, the thought of packing everything up makes me quite dizzy. I will be saying little prayers for you!!

Vita said...

I can't wait to see your animation.I can only imagine the wonders you two will create in this medium.
Best of luck and many little helpers with your move.
There was an old tradition in Russia, that when you move you take the house spirit from the old house with you into the new one. He was called "domovoj"He can be very helpful, as well as extremely annoying...and the way to do it is to leave an empty bag for him, and then move the bag with you to the new home:) Not that I totally believe this, but just and idea to share....

Julianna said...

I'm feeling excited just reading about your move! Good luck with everything!

Shelley Noble said...

Everything looks amazing, Rima and Tui! All your papery things and wooden as well! Good luck with all of it and hurrah!

Ciara Brehony said...

Oh...sniff...it feels like a sort of goodbye is looming! Though I know it is nothing more than change, really. But the excitement! Squeezed in between all the madness and stress and trying-to-think-of-everything..phew! It won't be long now by the looks of it, and then the new adventure begins, all-aboard the wanderly wagon. You know in my heart I am riding on your coloured coat-tails, all through the misty autumn hills.
Hurray!

tlchang said...

Rima, I am hoping for you nothing but best, best wishes with all your last minute details as you transition from one way of life to another. From all appearances you are doing it beautifully as you do so much of your life. Thank you for allowing some peeks into your journey.

Anonymous said...

Rima, I am sending you many warm blessings as you prepare to embark on your gypsy adventures. My own gypsy spirit wistfully flies alongside!

Unknown said...

Your animation-to-be is tantalizing, & your journey-to-be as well... I'm certain both will emrge mysterious & beautiful, & well worth that whirlwind of preparatory paper.

Curious Art said...

That comment from Sandy was really me-- forgot to log in!

laughingwolf said...

so magickal/mystical...

Taake said...

Dear Rima (if I may), I dedicated to you a post on my photo blog:

http://taake1977.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/estonian-winter-fairy-tales/

I really like your art and everything.

Cheers from North :-)

Sorry for my poor english...

Unknown said...

As it is a wonderful reference for books to search out long after that dust settles in your intriguing little bookstore...


--
Jenifer
Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems