Sunday 23 November 2008

Lanterns in the snow


THIS is what we woke to this morning .. these wonderful brown heather hills dusted with an icing of snow. It's very cold indeed and we are busy as ever, tying up knots in things.
We've had pre MOT headaches galore and would like to say a big and heartfelt thank you to Andy for helping us out of a tight mechanical corner :)

All the last minute little dots on the Is and crosses to the Ts are arriving in jiffy bags in droves, much to the interested eyebrow raisings of the owners of the local B&B where we have to go to collect the parcels: hooks and elastic to hold books in, more door knobs, portholes and quite excitingly, a Beamish oil lamp. I think it's an old miner's safety lamp, and filled with some oil (which also arrived in the post) it sits handsomely in our truck alongside another dear little oil lamp which I already had.




The animation has about 4 more scenes plus title sequence to be completed before it's finished, and when it is done, I will turn into a whirlwind of boxes and binbags and dustpans and brushes until the truck is full of our things! There are many more things to do, and we'll still be adding extras when we're on the move as we settle into our home.
We recently (nervously) had it weighed, and found to our relief that it amounts to a mere five and a bit tons. The limit is 7.5, so there is still room for a book or two! I'm also in my infuriatingly last minuteish sort of way still trying desperately to sell my car.. if anyone would like a little 1976 Renault 5 with personality, a few creaking knees and an excellent engine, do have a look!

20 comments:

tut-tut said...

How exciting! If I were closer, I might have a look at your car . . .

Lovely glow from those lamps to guide you along.

Anonymous said...

i agree, the glow from the lamps is very comforting. nothing like a flickering flame to bring warmth to a heart (and hearth - your hearth will be in your lamp, i suppose).
i envy you your upcoming life, rima. you deserve the best that adventure has to offer!! xo

Tess Kincaid said...

Yes, I agree with Nina. The glow from your lantern and oil lamp are comforting even through the photos, Rima. Stay warm, dear bloggy friend! :)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

The lantern light makes everything look warmer. And I'm glad to hear your rolling home is underweight. There is still room for Edward and me!

the dafthermits (Mel n andy and wee clan) said...

Hi Both

Thanks for your kind words will see you during the week for our wee trip to Dumfries

lots of love andy & mel x

Acornmoon said...

The lamps do look very cosy, how lovely.

I hope you have packed your hot water bottles. it looks cold on them there hills.

The Dutchess said...

Lovely lamplight..Isn't snow magical...When I look out of my window I see a winter wonderland..Greetings from a Snowy place.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Almost there, or rather almost not there any more, almost able to be anywhere. Stay warm, brrrrrrrr.

Anonymous said...

There's something about the shape of lanterns that make me feel snug. I do like that one on the right! :)x

Anonymous said...

snowy here, too.
i am loving it.
though my home is not mobile, and warmed by a nice little fire,
seeing your photos makes me wonder why i dont put my oil lamps into service.
and why not?
perhaps tonight i will read bedtime stories to the babies by the glow of a lamp....

Vita said...

Rima, it is beautiful! and there is nothing else to say.

as for the car--best of luck. hope it finds a new owner soon.

Ciara Brehony said...

Eee! I am getting as excited as if it was me taking to the road... sigh...

The snow looks beautiful, and nothing like golden lamplight for contrasting cosiness. Perfect.

BT said...

Such pretty snowy pictures but so cold! Hopefully you are keeping warm by the glow of those delightful lamps. How exciting to receive all those things through the post.

So glad the truck is under weight. Pack in those books and as Pamela said, room for a guest or two!!

Yoli said...

Oh Rima, how I love your little world.

Nao said...

Lamps glowing in darkness are a kind of invitation to take comfort. Things are looking very good over there, not long now...

Anonymous said...

Beautiful lanterns. When we had no power, my Nana had a wonderful oil lamp. We'd mainly use candles in a dish a little like the one your oil lamp stands on.

Light is so appreciated in these dark months of long nights.

Gail said...

I get more excited with every post from you ;-) Fingers crossed for your last few days ... and hope the car finds a home soon too ...
-Gail X

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

Its lovely,I also love the glow of a beautiful lamp.i love the antique lamps with their history.
I droped by today to wish you a very Happy Thanksgiving and all the blessings that go with it.hugs Marie Antionette

Solvay said...

So delightful. What a way to live!!!
Thank you.
I hope you are all well, now, too!
Solveg

Anonymous said...

i think possibly this is the most beautiful diary i have ever seen.