Friday 16 May 2008

Mum & Dad


I WOULD like to tell you a little tale of my beginnings ... because I was brought into this world 28 years ago by two wonderful artists, who have passed very valuable things onto me. Not only do I have their eyes for looking at things and their art in my blood, I have seen through them that it is necessary and possible to make one's own work and a living at it. I know that I am lucky indeed to have a rich childhood treasure chest in my head to draw upon: of being surrounded by sculpture and art, of interesting places, of Bedford van travels across Europe, of strange bedtime stories, and of being a little different from everyone else.

My parents continue to make their art in their home, and have recently dipped their toes into this strange 21st century web world ... with a website, etsy shop and blog where you'll see delights indeed. To celebrate this, I thought I would show you some of their wonderful works and give you an idea of the inspiring household in which I grew up... with these creations on every windowsill, stair and shelf.

My parents met in the 1970s in the plaster room of City & Guilds of London Art School where my mum was studying sculpture and my dad teaching it...

My mum grew up in the wilds of New Zealand and finds much of her inspiration in memories of those hills and the nature there... She trained as a nurse before travelling through many countries to finally arrive in the UK to study sculpture, a discipline that was long bubbling in her, even as a child scraping clay from the riverbed to make forms... an example of this on the right, a young horse laying on its side, which she made when she was only 9.

My dad was born in South London 10 years before the second world war, and on being asked what he would like to do when he grew up, would answer: "either a fighter pilot, a priest or an artist!" This last choice seems to have endured all his life, with a particular focus on his love for woodcarving. He has made a great variety of works in stone, wood and clay over the years, making figures for churches, architectural stone carvings, lettering, and a great body of his own work, in varying styles.

I remember vividly the curls of wood on the floor of the workshop when I was small, and the smell of resin, and learned at a young age about the progression of a piece of art from its beginnings as a piece of wood, through many stages, agonies and hoorays to the final work.

From my mum amongst many many other things, I have inherited a sense of colour, design and form, and a fascination with people. My dad has passed on to me, amongst many many other things, a love of the medieval, words, wooden things and wonkiness.
And I know that I am privileged to have such masters of the field as critics and encouragers... and I would like to thank them for always inspiring me, for this art in my blood and for truly knowing me. I hope that I can create works as beautiful as these one day.
Please welcome them and spread the word of their masterpieces...



The images on the left are my dad's work and on the right, my mum's.

18 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

What an awe-some legacy you hail from, Rima. And what a loving tribute you have made. Your parents works are stunningly beautiful, thank you for showing us more about them... and you.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Happy Birthday, you have paint in your hair and art in your blood, what could be better?

Terry said...

I just discovered you through Elizabeth Wix's The House in Marrakesh (http://thehouseinmarrakesh.blogspot.com) - and have spent the most delightful hour in your world. I'll be back for more!!

mama p said...

This is so beautiful, Rima. Thank you, thank you...And thank you to your parents!

A bright, bright day to you :)

Ciara Brehony said...

Hey Rima,
Thank you so much for sharing a little of where you came from. There must be something in the air, for I did the first of two posts about my mum last night! It's nice to remind ourselves to be thankful and show appreciation for them and what they have given us, just by being themselves.
Now, I'm off to have a look at their work!

Unknown said...

Gosh
I got a bit teary reading this Rima. It's wonderful your parents were able to give you such a creative beginning. I'm going to be a Dad in October and this post made me feel a little stronger about things. Your parents do lovely work.

Carolee said...

What a wonderful post, and not a bit surprising to see how you come by all that creativity and talent! Your parents' work is every bit as amazing as yours. Thanks for sharing your story and their links. :)

~ Carolee

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry - that was me deleting my waffly comment! I just wanted to say I enjoyed this post it made me tearful and that they must be so proud of you.x

Ulla said...

Truly a magical post!!! You hail from artistic wonder-fulness!!! I love that the vain is so rich and pure... I'm skipping right over to see your parents sites after I've finished catching up on yours! Hugs from California!!!

Jo James said...

Lovely as always.

I have a little award thingy for you here:
http://thecartbeforethehorse.blogspot.com/2008/05/its-minor-award.html

Come and get it :)
-Joee

G said...

More magic! Thank you for introducing us to your parents. I shall look forward to discovering more of their art.

Happy Birthday!

michelle said...

Best wishes to your Mom and Dad on their venture into the web. It's wonderful to see the creativity that runs in your family.

Morna Crites-Moore said...

What a marvelous upbringing you must have had - and it shows! :)

Tess Kincaid said...

This was a delightful post, Rima. What a wonderfully talented heritage you have. A joy to "meet" your parents. Belated birthday wishes! :)

Amy Short said...

Your blog is one of my favorites as are you! AND the funny thing is that I found your parents on etsy a few weeks ago or more and added them to my favorites because I LOVE LOVE LOVE their sculpture. Well now wonder I enjoy you so much considering how lovely your parents are and art in the blood...of course it is! Happy Birthday and I wish you all much success.
big hugs!
Amy

Rima Staines said...

Well thank you ALL for such sweet words.. and I am touched that people were so touched...
PS - um - it isn't actually my birthday! I said I was brought into this world 28 years ago but it wasn't EXACTLY to the day!! Sorry for confusions! :) x

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous post Rima -- and what awesome parents you have. Thanks for sharing their work with us.