Friday 8 February 2008

Honey and Klezmer

A SWARM of bees for you .. a little detail from the album cover I have beeeen busy with. Following the doldrums with the first attempt, I decided to begin again... and am thankfully much happier with this version, which I have drawn in pencilly detail and which is quite different from the first. I was newly inspired by an old folk custom that the band have based their name on and I was lucky in having plenty of time to do this work again, but isn't it just horrible when you hate your own work?
I would like to raise a glass to the tremendous Propelling Pencil which has enabled me to endulge my finicky nature in my drawings lately and dispense with a sharpener!
As I write, Tui is coaxing the fire into life with some kindling cut from some abandoned old fence posts we came across a while ago, whilst we debate what we can muster up for dinner from a few lentils and some brussels sprouts at the bottom of the fridge and listen to the frankly brilliant Amsterdam Klezmer Band...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'd like to have a whole big room wallpapered with these bees. Wonderful.

Ulla said...

Wonderful, I can almost hear them! Your prints arrived yesterday! I LOVE THEM, especially the Smudge Fly - so tender...
Thank you!

Gretel said...

Your bees, they have a lovely line to them, cobwebby fragile

Anonymous said...

I love these recent pencil drawings of yours. Bring on your pencilly detail! :)

Anonymous said...

beautiful drawing and I would like to join you in that glass to the propelling pencil! I have three, I steal them from my boyfriend who uses them in his work!

Joanna said...

The bees are lovely, I would be very lost with out my pencil sharpener, maybe I will try a propelling pencil thankyou.