Saturday 2 August 2008

On The State Of My Paintbrushes, Clock Parts & Book Corners

THIS DREADFUL scratty state of affairs to the left is, believe it or not, my most used paintbrush. I fear it's had its day... so I was delighted to receive a little package in the post from my mum with these sleek specimens below enclosed. For those interested in the minutiae of painting tools, I like best to use tiny acrylic brushes with a nice resistance to the bristles, which I find best for painting on hard surfaces like wood. Canvas has never really grabbed me because of the give in it as you put your brush to the painting surface.

Meanwhile in the Hermitage workshop, any thought of a trip away has been thwarted by our old friends the rainclouds.. so Tui and I have thrown ourselves into truckbuilding and clockmaking respectively. Our wheeled home is approaching the Very Exciting stage ... there'll be photos soon.

And Once Upon O'Clock number three is almost done! I must say, that on receiving a lovely new clock order from a geographer, I am beginning to grow into the idea of making clocks for professions: The Perfumier's Clock, The Fencer's Clock, The Geographer's Clock .. and so on. Tho this is not a requirement in each commission, I like the concise idea of it.
I have enjoyed drawing inspiration with this latest one from Russian icons and lacquer painting. I was asked by Yoli the Fencer to include swords and reds... and I am very happy with what has emerged. Here below you can see a bookish corner in our house with the three titles I have been referring to for inspiration on such things as heraldry and horses, as well as the rich, muted broken-paint colours of the magnificent Russian icons.


The books shown are:


Do click on the photograph if you want to look at the books in closer detail...

I must return to the grindstone now, while rain pelts the window.
I leave you with a smattering of tickings of the recent clockmakings ...


Oh, and I have just listed the Once Upon O'Clock Illustration for sale as prints in the shop...

16 comments:

Yoli said...

Ok, I quickly checked the shop in case you had listed the clock. I won't be on until much later but I am beyond thrilled with what you have drawn your inspiration from to make my clock. I cannot wait to have it hanging on my walls.

Morna Crites-Moore said...

I love your brush! :)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

LOL how did you paint with that brush! Just two hairs hanging on by pure luck. Such fun to clock your progress with the clocks.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I adore your ideas for all the new clocks! Just wonderful, and I can't wait to see them. Also, I so enjoyed the photo of your bookshelf and turned my head to one side in order to have a look at all the captivating title therein!

That poor little paintbrush. Ready for retirement, I think!

Happy weekend!

tlchang said...

I get to think of you off and on all day as I gaze fondly at my clock on the wall... :-)

Acornmoon said...

Your book case looks like mine, I spy "Fairy Tales" illustrated By Jane Ray, isn't that a lovely book?

I am enjoying watching the progress on your clocks,- fascinating.

Ester García said...

Rima, this is marvelous.... I´ve just discovered your blog and your artwork, and I´m fascinated......

I´ll come back always....

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

LOL I have brushes that seen their last days as well.But they have never painted anything as lovely as yours do. Marie Antionette

Ciara Brehony said...

Oh that poor wee paintbrush! It served you well methinks.

What a wonderful idea the Occupational Clocks are. I look forward to seeing what comes next!

Hope you get away sometime soon, and I wonder what delights you've been creating in your Wanderly Wagon!

Hayden said...

Here via Tara - am enchanted! Determined to order a clock, but that must wait and receive proper thought first. Absolutely dazzled by your work.

Vinara said...

That brush definately deserves a retirement :-P. Look forward to seeing the next clocks, especially The Geographers one :-). We are also staying safe and snug inside our house whilst the rains fall.

:-)

mama p said...

So sad, to let go of a favored paintbrush :( But I've kept mine even so, just so I can look at it while I work :)

Your reminder of "rain pattering on the window" has me looking forward now to our move, rather than dreading it! For we'll be going from The Land of No Summer Rain At'oll to The Land of Great Summer Storms. thanks :)

Tess Kincaid said...

Looking forward to seeing Yoli's clock!

Love the new sleek brushes. I know you like worn things, but that pitiful little brush was finished!

Barbara Martin said...

Your poor old paintbrush, and you managed to paint with it until the new ones arrived. A miracle!

The artwork is wonderful on your blog, and your clocks are interesting and unique.

Gretel said...

Poor little brush...I am thrilled that your clock making is for you what my toy making has been for me. (Funnily enough I have been managing somehow to fit in a bit of oil painting again, and it was lovely to feel the slight give of canvas under my brush).

The Artwork of Christi Bunn said...

I am loving reading your blog... your adventures into Glasgow are very... well... telling. I hope one day to be able to travel to your land... where the people, to me at least, speak like a song. Though I haven't been there, from pictures and video I have seen the beauty of the Scottish hills seems unparalleled. Rima, I understand about the paintbrush... but where you become attached to a brush, my fingers feel most at home with a certain pencil. It's funny, isn't it?

Blessings,
Christi