Wednesday 16 July 2008

Flies & time

THIS MORNING on tottering downstairs towards the morning cup of tea, I found a drowning fly flapping for his upside-down little life in the dregs of last night's hot chocolate cup. So I scooped him out on a fingertip and sat with him on my hand for some time watching his perfect little fly-drying routine. He would wipe his big little eyes with his front legs like a cat over and over again, and then swap to his back legs which he hooked over his wings to wipe off the tiny remnants of chocolate, scraping them slowly over and under each wing... and then he'd flutter a little and begin all over again. Here he is sitting atop the gnarled mountain rage that is in fact my knuckles under a macro lens!


Outside the wind and cold rain showers are unrelenting and we keep peeping out the door to see if the sun might allow us to trundle off and sell our pictures any time soon.
Meanwhile the second clock has begun! I was jumping about the kitchen the morning the first clock sold (it is happily winging its way now to new owner Tara). Thank you everyone for such a wonderful, encouraging response to this new venture, and for all your thoughtful words on the matter of pricing. I am still feeling my way, but it seems the general consensus is that I could eke my prices up a smidgen. I have received a number of custom orders for clocks too so I think that I have settled upon having two prices, one for the clocks I make and just put in the shop, and the other (slightly higher) for custom orders. I still want these to be affordable, so the prices will be both not ridiculous for the buyers and not ridiculous for me.
Here's a sneak preview of the second clock, which is green where the first one was red, and is a custom order for a perfumier!



And while I paint, we repeatedly check on the BBC weather like anxious mothers or perfectionist chefs, and our lovely Bedford sits there waiting patiently to be taken on an adventure...

17 comments:

moonandhare said...

Your Bedford looks wonderful--when I was a child, my parents used to load my sisters,a tent,and various camping supplies into a homemade box on our truck (sort of a smaller version of your Bedford), and off we'd go to get lost in the forests of the Pacific Northwest. I can still smell the pine trees...

Francesco Chiacchio said...

I like your Bedford, and your world!

Tess Kincaid said...

Your Bedford is just about the most adorable vehicle I have ever seen.

Yoli said...

Oh it is lovely that Bedford! It fills my gypsy soul. I love your clocks and I must have one! We are so far away from one another Rima. Your world is fascinating to me. I cannot thank Willow enough for finding you.

PS: Girl, I know how you felt towards the little fly. I do the same with ants.

Shelley Noble said...

I was watching an American cousin of that fly at my place last night, hands wiping over his bright red eyes. Lovely photos!

Brilig said...

With such a van I guess you are always home for tea - high-up on the list of travelling priorities.

Ciara Brehony said...

I just love these little spyholes into your days Rima: To take the time to sit and watch that little guy clean up, more wonderful clocks, the slow measure of time, and that beautiful Bedford... which brings backs many happy memories of living in Holland.

We have finally managed to creep away from the rain here. But for how long I wonder?

(I love the latest coincidence! This is like a lovely little game: where will the next one be!)

The Ginger Darlings said...

Love the clocks and the drawings and the words. Your website has kept me away from my work for too too long, but I thank you. Magical.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your moments with the fly. It's reminded me of taking time to live and to not rush through things. :)
Is your van finished now? I wish you good luck on your summer selling adventures!x

Gina Cuff said...

Hi Rima,

I'm waiting and waiting for a cold, rainy day here so I can settle down by the fire with a cup of tea and soak up all the beautiful words and images on your website. What an amazing website it is and what an imagination you have. I'm so glad I found you! And what can I possibly say about the Bedford...:)

~Gina in Newfoundland

Creations by Marie Antoinette and Edie Marie said...

I also love the Bedford,and the fly,You are really unique,I LIKE IT....Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog.I am going to put up your link,because I think you and your site are grand....Marie Antionette

d. moll, l.ac. said...

The Bedford looks like an awful lot of fun, enough to give even a stay at home rabbit owner a touch of travel fever ;0)

Karen said...

Your van looks so homely! I am envious of all the wonderful adventures you are going to have in it.:)
Your fly reminds me of years ago when my Mum rescued one from her yorkshire pudding mixture. She wrote a rhyming verse about it.Maybe I'll do a little picture for it and post it on my blog?
Fingers crossed the rain will stop soon for you!

rika said...

I love the clocks and your Bedford. Your imagination is such a delightfully cluttered and surprising place. It is very kind of you to make bits of it available to the general public:) I am saving up to afford some Time, and maybe a Clock to go with it.

Oh, and I don't know if you recall, but you mentioned Vashti Bunyan in another of your entries and in a fit of procrastination I looked her up and listened to Lookaftering, and ended up buying it. Thanks for the recommendation!

Jim said...

Most delightful, my heart!

I am Romanian Gypsy.

Delightful indeed!

AnnaLynn said...

I am in the USA and came across your blog and can't believe my eyes! I feel like you are living the life that is in my heart.Your blog page ,your incredible art work and your cottage on wheels are all such an overwhelming inspiration to me.I am an artist but have been a mom of 4 children for 16 years I hope to get some time in years to come to even touch on the kind of life it appears you have.Blessings to you!
Thank you for effecting me in such a wonderful way.

aitana carrasco said...

I don't remember how I arrived here. I love your moving house, ypur art, and specially your clocks.