Tuesday 10 June 2008

A barrel stove day

OUR WHEELED HOME is growing bit by little bit into itself. While I sit at home in the animation attic moving little bits of paper and making paintings in between, Tui spends his days down in the sun and wind and horsebox, sanding and sawing and hammering and building and making a home.
Since the acquisition of this Bedford, we have been collecting some lovely ebay finds for it, including the recently fitted round window, a copper kettle, a little belfast sink, some lovely old leaded windows from a demolished chapel in Wales, and a brand new barrel stove!
So yesterday was spent admiring Tui's lovely new door and "seasoning" the new stove outdoors with a little fire made from the offcuts of wood.
It is lovely to finally have this vital ingredient, every home needs a fire! You may notice that we have no chimney yet... we need to put down the floorboards before we know the length of stovepipe needed.
This is a long slow process, and expensive... each time we make a little money, it goes on wood and screws and silicone sealant and sandpaper. But bit by bit, it is feeling more and more like ours. We've developed a little rather old-fashioned routine where midmorning I bring a pot of coffee and two cups down to the spot where Tui is working and we sit on the tail gate discussing our mornings' works, and looking down the hill towards the stream where goats peck and chickens bleat.



PS .. the spiders have blown off!!

Also today, I was pleased to catch an interesting programme on Radio 4 about one of my favourite albums: Just Another Diamond Day by Vashti Bunyan, who made it whilst on a horse-drawn waggon journey to the outer Hebrides in the 60s before choosing to disappear into obscurity. For me her wobbly gentle songs and guitar tell lovely tales of a simpler life with a strange warmth that obviously comes straight from the feelings that went into making it.

20 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

Rima, Your life reads like the most perfect of folktales. Truly lovely. I adore the way you express through words.

Elva Undine said...

That album is one of my favorites! It's perfect in every season.

Gretel said...

Ah Rima, your new home is going to be so, so very beautiful and wonderful! That is why spiders love you; if you are not careful you will wake up to find ME clinging to the Bedford tyre! (now there's an odd thought...)

d. moll, l.ac. said...

More complete and incredible by the day, I would say, in reference to the Bedford. The question is; when you take off into the great beyond will you still blog?

Sandra Evertson said...

Your work is simply amazing! Will miss those beautiful little spiders!
Sandra Evertson

Ted Marshall said...

Oh I love the idea of Welsh chapel windows in your van in Scotland that will be going to Scandinavia.

Elizabeth said...

You lead such a different sort of life than most of us.....a wonderful adventure - and so strangely British.
I enjoy your tales of spiders -I quite like them though my husband doesn't sonce he was bitten by one in Africa......all best wishes

d. moll, l.ac. said...

LOL, yes, I did notice the sitting on cold ground and drinking coffee, too!

Vinara said...

Hi Rima :D
Your wheeled home sounds just magical. I wish I could do something like that. I'm sure it will be truely spectacular when it's finished :D

Best wishes with it all! :-)
Enelya

Tess Kincaid said...

Your Bedford is going to be just perfect...bright copper kettles, warm woolen mittens and a barrel stove! Fun to hear of the progress.

ArtPropelled said...

Looking forward to hearing about your adventures when you take off in your home on wheels. Wish I could do something so wonderful!

mama p said...

I love this tale :) Thanks for having us to coffee with you in this way. Can hear the sheep bleating all the way in California.

I thought of you whilst making dinner last night-- a very very teeny, tiny baby albino spider was bobbling about my countertop. It was so cute, watching it try out the different surfaces. It's brother was on the other counter, full of hubris, trying to catch two ants for its own supper. The ants managed to get away, but then, they had a size advantage :) Loving thoughts to your new home-makings!

Diana said...

Love the pictures and your story. It's the perfect getaway for me, minus the spiders. What an interesting life you lead! Perhaps in my next life I'll also follow the wild solitude. It's lovely.

Erica-Jane said...

Well, I certainly hope those spiders excused themselves! Don't they know it's rude to blow off infront of a lady! Hee hee ;0)
Loving your blog, as always.

Take care

Erica
xoxo

Ciara Brehony said...

Oh Rima, do you know, reading your blog is like one of Vashti's songs! This album was on repeat for about a year here, and my daughter knows every word of every song. It will always remind me of these days of mothering and magic when they are long gone. (Oh my heart...!)

Rima Staines said...

Thanks folks for smiling at our adventures :)
Yes I will be blogging on the hoof, with some clever mobile internet technology!
Lovely as always to receive your comments :)
x Rima

Acornmoon said...

What a lovely adventure, I love your artwork also.

Anonymous said...

I can see where you get much inspiration from Vashti! I love her music. Glad I found your blog, it is lovely!

Aileen Clarke Crafts said...

Dear Rima, what a wonderfully interesting blog. Looks like you are enjoying Scotland at it's best being out there in the wilds during all this lovely weather (and not so lovely weather but it's a lovely feeling being hunkered down against the wind and rain isn't it!) All the best with your Art and travels, Aileen.
P.S. Check out this group www.flickr.com/groups/handmadeinscotland

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh I do love your door... and the glass makes it so special! And nothing better than warming yourself by a little fire... soaks into the bones and soothes the soul!!

And you are making me sincerely miss my goats and chickens... best, gwen