Friday 25 July 2008

The Perfumier's Clock


THE SECOND ever Once Upon O'Clock is now ticking its way over the ocean to Perfumier Nicole.
She asked me to paint a wise woman, a brewer of magic, a young witch rather than an old crone, and one with whom she could identify whilst stirring her own fragrant artisan skincare brews.
I am very pleased with this second clock, I like the warm colours that put me in mind of distilling petals and sunlight through bottles of who-knows-what along a windowsill.
This perfumier is stirring her brew as time turns around her cauldron... she is stirring time.



I have now begun an official List of custom clock orders. I am receiving such delicious requests for imagery that delights me, and I am having fun trying to keep some circular motif within each design to go behind the hands. A few more logs have been brought indoors in preparation for clocks to come and Tui has the arm-aching task of sawing clock-slices from the logs.
The next piece of wood is cut and sanded and almost ready to be painted on... it is for a fencer (of the sword variety, nothing to do with edges of gardens) and I shall be beginning work on it after a little picture-selling jaunt into the north of England, dodging rainclouds, and parking overnight in the forest.
Cheerio for now ... tick tock.

23 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

This one is fabulous, Rima! How did you capture that perfect, subtle, wise expression on her face?

Ted Marshall said...

Absolutely beautiful.

Vinara said...

Stunning as always :-) I like how you're working on keeping a circular thing going on in each clock. Can't wait to see more beautiful creations soon :-D. Best wishes for your trip to England!

tui said...

See you in the woods then :)
kettles on

x tui x

jfk said...

i agree completely about her wise and subtle expression. ;-)

anxiously anticipating her arrival!

x.nicole

herhimnbryn said...

Oh Lady R,
Stunning work. She is so focused on her potion. Good slicing Tui.

Ciara Brehony said...

Dear Rima. Your magic touch once again. This is too beautiful. I do love the greens and the warmth and the look of quiet concentration. One of my favourites so far.

A lovely weekend to you both!

Shelley Noble said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

tlchang said...

This one is also wonderful.

(still anxiously awaiting!)

AC said...

Stunning work as ever Rima!
Take care,
Alison.

Crista Noel Smith said...

Congratulations on your new endeavor! These are really quite beautiful.. they have such warmth. I wish you the very best of luck, but I'm sure you won't need it. Hope all is well and sunny. x

Bimbimbie said...

I was curious and followed the path from the home of three ginger cats to say hello ... I'm glad I did, I've been enchanted *!*

Unknown said...

Really lovely!
I'm loving these clocks. They seem rife with understated meaning, And this one has a lovely portrait.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Oh, she is perfect! How good that you have delightful that you have delightful assignments queing up. Hope you find a Good Spot this weekend.

Yoli said...

OMG you are starting on my clock!!! I am so happy I am next! It is going to be amazing, I am sure.

Anonymous said...

This is absolutley gorgeous! The new owner will be thrilled - I would! It reminds me of when I was a child and would mix rose petals with anything else I could get my hands on.:)x

Morna Crites-Moore said...

I am so happily in awe of your paintings - too limited a word for all you do - your creations, how's that? Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such a compliment. It pleases me greatly to know I have made something which Rima finds appealing. Yippee!

Paula Bowles said...

Beautiful :o)

'Clock' is such a nice word too, don't you think? Sort of clunk-clicks and rolls off your tongue! x

Acornmoon said...

Well done Rima,
your on a roll with your clocks, going from strength to strength.

industrialpoppy said...

Just beautiful! As a (young and beautiful :)) metalsmith, I would love to see the images for my craft...perhaps one day :)

Romont Willy said...

Que trabalho magnífico!!!

Anonymous said...

you tell things so well,you can hear who you are when you write.

awurabajoa said...

This is the first time i've seen your blog and i just can't stop...and this piece is just so beautiful